WILLIAM A SLOAN
My resolutions haven’t changed since I was in college and had a personal philosophy
based on equal parts Thoreau, Frank Lloyd Wright and the Supremes.
Breathe. Think. And STOP...in the name of love.
My goal in life has always been the same and is pretty basic – to be better today than I was yesterday and better tomorrow than I am today...at everything...in every way. A better person. A better friend. A better artist. Better. Not compared to anybody else. That’s ridiculous. Just to me. Otherwise, what’s the point? So, I give it my best shot and some days I succeed more than others. But the goal stays the same.
This past year came with some new challenges – the remote thing, the 24/7 with your partner thing, the no-travel thing, the “Why can’t French Fries be a food group?” thing. So many important challenges. But we got through and we continue to and we’re all the better for it. Sometimes understanding and forgiveness have been challenging but let’s all remember that after a few too many repeat viewings, even Jennifer Aniston and Courtney Cox can become really annoying. You know what I’m saying.
Deep breaths for everyone, dreams of Paris for everyone, a perfect bite of reality for everyone and lets all realize and celebrate the fact that we’re all doing the best we can and it’s pretty darn good!
So, here are my New Year’s resolutions once again – reminders more than resolutions, but a little reminder now and then never hurts.
1. Hug More. Because there’s no down side. Ever.
2. Support More. Because why wouldn’t you? Don’t be shy about it.
3. Appreciate More. Because everything you experience is a gift. Quite simply.
4. See More. Because it’s all around you and it’s always changing.
5. Listen More. Because nothing is more luxuriously beautiful than quiet.
6. Laugh More. Because it feels good, it burns calories, it keeps you young and it perpetuates itself in those around you.
7. Dance More. Because you can.
8. Say “Thank you” More. Because you should.
9. Ask More. Because you don’t know everything and there’s so much to know.
10. Love More. Because.
11. Judge Less.
They’ve held true for 45 years and I think will continue to.
Here’s wishing you a wonderful year, a better year, a clearer year and a more honest and fulfilling year. And to everyone reading this whom I hold dear, in the immortal words of Diana Ross – post Thoreau, post-Wright, post Supremes, “Ain’t no mountain high enough, ain’t no valley low enough, ain’t no river wide enough to keep me from you.”
Big New Year’s Hugs!